Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Impulse Sock Knitting

There's nothing like an injury to bring out the Knitting Mama impulses. I hereby present the evidence:







The yarn is J-Knits Superwash Me sock yarn, color "AC 141" purchased at Knitorious & approved of by my son as being OK for guy socks. (He requested short socks, which makes things easier for getting them done ASAP.) If you look closely, you'll notice the change in needles from the first pictures to the more recent ones. That's because I only had bamboo needles free to cast on with right away. Since snapping a couple of wooden sock needles, I've discovered I do much better with metal ones. My friend Katie was a real angel & picked up new needles for me at Chris' Needle Craft on the day of my son's surgery. (& I have to give props to the folks there as well. When I called them up asking whether I could pay for sock needles over the phone & have someone else pick them up for me, they had no problem making it happen.)



The first couple days were rough, but my son is feeling a lot better today. The surgery appears to have been successful. In the process of being on-call-24/7, I ended up watching a LOT of the Pokemon Marathon on Cartoon Network this weekend. Thank goodness for knitting, is all I can say. The Pokemon Marathon was a good distraction for my son (& it was funny to see how his view of it has changed since he watched it as a little kid.) But for me, the knitting was a great distraction from the Pokemon Marathon.

I'm liking working with the J-Knits yarn so far. It's working up nicely, feels comfortable in my hands, & makes a nice fabric. It's not as soft & luxurious feeling as the Apple Laine, but will probably hold up much better on teenage feet. Although I already had some other colors of J-Knits in my stash, this is the first pair I've started. I'm liking it so much though, that I think I need to knit up my New Mexico colorway for Gryffindor socks in time for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book release.



Joxer got in on the Cats With Socks theme this time. I swear that the socks are only matching the cats by accident.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad to hear your son weathered the surgery well. Poor kid. Poor Mom. Your socks are great looking. I agree on the metal needles. I prefer them for sock knitting, but it's such an individual thing, isn't it?

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger wheelinsticks said…

    Hi Cindy,
    I am glad to here Dale is feeling better. I tell the team. Are you coming Wednesday night?
    Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home