Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Apples & Roses

I finished my Apple Laine socks this week. The yarn is from the Loopy Ewe, & was absolutely wonderful to work with. I had quite a bit of yarn left over, so my next set of Apple Laine socks with be longer.



I couldn't resist trying them on before I Kitchenered the toes, & you can see in the picture how much yarn remains. I have other shades of Apple Laine in my stash, for three other pairs of socks. I'll be making those each an inch or two longer, given how much yarn was leftover this time.



As with my first set of socks, I did a better job with Kitchenering the second toe than the first. I also discovered that what I thought was "playing it safe" was actually getting in the way of doing a good job of it. As you can see from my picture, I switched needles out to my tiniest 000s for the Kitchenering of the first sock, thinking that I could use them as a lifeline of sorts. I figured since the needles were so small, I could leave the stitches on them in case I messed up.

The reality, however, was that the smaller needles actually meant it was easier to accidently split the yarn, which made it darn near impossible to tighten the Kitchener stitches. However, due to leaving the 000s in place & not sliding the stitches off as I went, the Kitchenering really DID need tightening. I Kitchenered the second sock on the size 2s, sliding the stitches off as I was done with them, & that toe turned out much better.






Socks knit on DPNs over 72 stitches. Cuff done in 1x1 rib, on size 0 needles for 1.5 inches. Remainder of the socks knit on size 2 needles, with 36 stitches used for the heel flap. Pattern adapted from Sensational Knitted Socks, using the 4 stitch pattern section as a model for doing plain stockinette socks.

This is my second set of fully completed socks, though by no means the second set that I started. Most of the other socks I have started are being saved for "passenger knitting" this summer.



















These socks also go well with my Mary Jane Crocs. (& I have to confess that may have something to do with why this particular set in progress was chosen to be the second set completed.)



As for the Roses mentioned in the title, here is my Saturday Sky picture for this week, & my Fjellros progress as of today:



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Rachel Leverton said…

    Those are really nice, and I just LOVE the warm colors. I'm really jealous of your Mary Janes, too. They're so cute! I've been putting the hints out to hubby . . . let's see if he gets me some!

    Gorgeous socks, though. You know, you could always knit up some cute children's socks with the leftovers. I have a pattern on my design blog, http://dutchorchid.blogspot.com, or you can find a bunch of other free ones on the web.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Beautiful socks. I bet they feel great, too. The Fair Isle is lovely. I'm so impressed. And, the rose, so pretty. I love the roses this time of year. Ours took a horrible hit this winter. We lost about 4 bushes. Have a wonderful Sunday.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Loving the Apple Laine. I think I'll take a little stroll on over to their website and see what I can't find out... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home