Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fjellros in Progress

Last week I started a child's sweater using this Dale of Norway pattern:



It's a three color sweater, but only two colors are used per row. I bought the pattern a while ago, intending to make a cardigan for myself sometime. However, last week I realized that the pattern would be perfect for a sweater for my daughter.






The yarn I'm using for it is "forgotten" yarn that I'd bought at a going-out-of-business sale, which was only enough for the size I expect my daughter to be next Autumn/Winter. I rediscovered the yarn while doing a yarn inventory, & got all excited about it again.

I had some gauge issues at the beginning, so I had to frog back to the ribbing once & start again on larger needles, then I had another issue with the wrong color stitch on two rows, & had to do yet more frogging. That's what I get for knitting something complicated while at home sick, though.



I was happy that at least the ribbing was OK for the size, so that I didn't need to do that part over. I used the trick of picking up stitches & re-inserting the needle in the first row of stockinette in order to salvage at least some of my work.



Fortunately children's sweaters knit up much more quickly than adult sized ones, so it didn't take too long to get back to where I'd been before the frogging, & even go beyond that.



Now I have half of the first pattern repeat completed.

Here is what it looks like from the back side:

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It looks great - very nice pattern and colors. I have two fair isle cardigans I want to make but need to finish what is currently in the knitting basket!

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger Eileen said…

    Wow--that looks like a challenge. I think I'm fair isle-phobic.
    I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Rachel Leverton said…

    Gorgeous. I'm always in awe of people who can knit fair-isle. I'm too afraid to try it - I think I'd rather watch you knit it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home