Kitchener Stitch Gets Better With Practice
First of all, Happy Easter to all who celebrate it! We have a nice, if chilly, day here today.
The toe on my second sock is not exactly perfect, but Kitchener stitch definitely gets better with practice. I officially finished my second sock yesterday afternoon.
I did much better closing up the toe on the second sock compared with the first. I doubt anyone is going to ask to look at my toes, so I don't think it will matter much. If you look closely, you might be able to see the purl-style bumps on part of the outside of the right sock in this pic. That's the first sock I ever Kitchenered. The one I did yesterday is a LOT better, but still has big bumps at either end of where I closed them up.

I ended up with quite a bit of leftover yarn, so I could have made these each an inch taller on the leg. That's a drawback to top-down sock construction. I'll know for next time. The yarn is Sockotta, & I used size 1 Inox dpns. These socks took about 80-90% of one skein. The pattern came from Sensational Knitted Socks. I used the garter rib pattern from the 4-stitch patterns section.

I also got a REALLY cute pair of Mary Jane Crocs after I finished the first sock. I thought the sales lady was going to look at me strangely for having only one sock, but it turned out she was also a knitter, so she understood completely! (& having a matching pair of shoes to wear with the new socks probably helped prevent "second sock syndrome," don't you think?) I'll probably wear these to my parent's house this afternoon -- perfect Easter afternoon socks, even if they weren't exactly church attire for this morning.
The toe on my second sock is not exactly perfect, but Kitchener stitch definitely gets better with practice. I officially finished my second sock yesterday afternoon.
I did much better closing up the toe on the second sock compared with the first. I doubt anyone is going to ask to look at my toes, so I don't think it will matter much. If you look closely, you might be able to see the purl-style bumps on part of the outside of the right sock in this pic. That's the first sock I ever Kitchenered. The one I did yesterday is a LOT better, but still has big bumps at either end of where I closed them up.

I ended up with quite a bit of leftover yarn, so I could have made these each an inch taller on the leg. That's a drawback to top-down sock construction. I'll know for next time. The yarn is Sockotta, & I used size 1 Inox dpns. These socks took about 80-90% of one skein. The pattern came from Sensational Knitted Socks. I used the garter rib pattern from the 4-stitch patterns section.

I also got a REALLY cute pair of Mary Jane Crocs after I finished the first sock. I thought the sales lady was going to look at me strangely for having only one sock, but it turned out she was also a knitter, so she understood completely! (& having a matching pair of shoes to wear with the new socks probably helped prevent "second sock syndrome," don't you think?) I'll probably wear these to my parent's house this afternoon -- perfect Easter afternoon socks, even if they weren't exactly church attire for this morning.
Labels: Finished Objects, Knitting, Socks











6 Comments:
At 11:15 AM,
abby said…
Lovely socks, indeed! I want to use the garter-rib pattern soon (just got the book). And grafting does get sooooo much easier with practice. I can almost do without instructions in front of me now!
At 1:19 PM,
Craftypiggie said…
Great Socks! Where can you get the book i like to find it thanks kat
At 9:54 PM,
Rachel Leverton said…
Very nice! I really like Sockotta yarn, too. I've never knitted anything in the color you chose, though. It looks so cute with your crocs. I had no idea you could get mary janes! My brother just got me a pair of crocs for my birthday, and I simply LOVE them. So comfortable, and perfect for showing off hand knitted socks. Congrats on mastering the Kitchener stitch!
At 7:03 PM,
Kathy said…
Your socks look fantastic! And your Croc Mary Janes - perfect! Where did you find those?
At 9:39 AM,
7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said…
Very cute shoes--it's the first time I've seen crocs that I like. Your socks look great in them.
At 4:14 AM,
Shannan said…
Your socks look great with your new Mary Janes!
Post a Comment
<< Home