Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

New Socks in Progress

First off, I need to say Thank-You so much for the quick answers to my last post. I have passed those links on to my Aunt. I'm sure she will appreciate them.

It appears I have become totally addicted to socks. When I finished the first pair of Apple Laine socks, I immediately wound more Apple Laine yarn for another pair. I also wound some Scarlet Fleece. Both yarns were purchased from the Loopy Ewe. I had problems with winding the skein of Scarlet Fleece, though, which is why the green yarn in this picture is not in a nice, neat little yarncake.

Starting two sets of socks as a result of finishing a single set may not be the way that normal people would do things, but I've never claimed to be normal.



I've also turned the heel on my daughter's purple sock. She's tried it on, & it just barely fits over her heel, so I'll need to get those done rapidly enough that she'll have a chance to wear them. This evening I managed to finish the gusset, but there's not enough natural light for an updated picture. (This yarn is Lorna's Laces, bought on sale from an LYS that is going out of business.)



There are, however, updated pictures of the Apple Laine & the Scarlet Fleece. The pink yarn evidently likes to party, as I managed to do the complete leg of a sock while at a Karaoke Night with some friends. (In fact, there may even be pictures, but since my friend Katie took them with her cell phone, I don't have them.)



The Scarlet Fleece didn't react well to tight stockinette knitting. I just wasn't happy with the way that it was turning out when I was knitting it plain, so I frogged back to the cuff & started over with a different 4 stitch pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks.



As if that wasn't enough, I also ended up starting two more socks this past week on top of the I-just-finished-my-hand-dyed-must-start-new-hand-dyed ones. The Kirkwood Knittery had a "Show & Share" night last Thursday, & I decided to start some Trekking socks to work on while I was there, since I had purchased my Trekking at their store. I tried experimenting with lace on them, because the semi-solid nature of these particular colorways would work with lace. However, I discovered that I don't like working lace on DPNs, so those also were frogged back to the cuffs & restarted in different knit/purl combo patterns from More Sensational Knitted Socks.



One is a ten-stitch repeat & the other is an eight-stitch repeat. They aren't nearly as mindless as the stockinette, or even the four-stitch repeat patterns, so they will be a bit slower knit.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Addict! I thought I had a lot of socks started. :) I love love love the Apple Laine socks.

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    It's so darned addicting, isn't it? You have some lovely socks on needles.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home