Lacevember Contest Questions
The Lacevember KAL is having a group activity contest with Get-To-Know-The-Lacers questions. Here are my answers:
The knitting questions, or the usual suspects
How long have you been knitting? I first learned to knit 30 years ago, but I'm not sure playing around with garter stitch as a child should really count towards total knitting time. As far as "real" knitting of anything beyond a garter stitch scarf, it's been off & on for 18 years.
How did you learn to knit? Garter stitch I learned from my mother when I was about 9 years old. Knitting anything more complicated, including colorwork, simple increase/decreases, casting on & binding off, knitting in the round, steeking, purling, & following Norwegian sweater patterns I learned from my host mother, Ingeborg, when I spent a year in Norway as a foreign exchange student. I'm a self-taught laceknitter, but I had a good foundation to build on from that year I spent in Norway.
Favorite thing about knitting? Creating something totally unique, that cannot be purchased in mass market type of store.
How long have you been knitting lace? My first lace was Kiri, which I knit this past summer.
Favorite thing about knitting lace. Watching the pattern emerge.
The yarn questions, or flash your stash
Favorite lace yarn? So far, it's been Misti Alpaca Lace. However, I don't have much experience with different laceweight yarns yet, & am looking forward to experimenting.
Variegated or solids for shawls? Again, I've only knit two shawls so far, & started a couple more. Variegated looks better in some patterns than others, & I do plan to try it on a shawl in the future.
Favorite lace color? Green.
Technique, or show us your skillz
Circs or straights? Circs. I use Circs or DPNs for almost everything.
Favorite lace knitting trick? Favorite trick is picking up missed YO's or dropping found extra YO's & letting the blocking take care of any slight stitch tension variation.
Lifelines? If so with what? Nope. I like living dangerously, I guess. I've never used lifelines. I didn't even know they existed until after I completed my first shawl.
Fancy blocking wires, or just sewing pins stuck in your carpet? Combination. My blocking wire isn't fancy though. It's just stainless steel picture wire with packing tape over both ends to keep it from fraying or catching on my lace.
Pattern, or can you follow directions
shawls or lacey items? Shawls. I've made other items with an all over pattern of alternating K2tog/YO, but no other "real" lace with any distinct pattern.
triangle, rectangle, or circular shawls? Only triangles so far, but I plan to try rectangles & circles also.
Charts or printed instructions? I loved that Kiri had both. That was how I figured out how to read lace charts. Now I prefer charts.
Favorite lace you've knit? Miriam's Hidcote Garden Shawl.
Favorite lace you want to knit? It's a tie between Icarus & Mountain Peaks. I'm not sure which will be next.
Just Fun, yup that's right, just for fun
Favorite jelly belly flavor? None. I'd far rather have chocolate.
Tell me everything you know about Eric the Red..... See above -- having spent a year in Norway, & also studied Norse/Viking history since, I could go on for quite some time...
Coke, classic or with lime? None. I hate soda & always have. I'd rather have water, actually.
Holiday carols, sing along, or wish they would be banned from all public airwaves? I love Christmas Hymns & will sing along at every opportunity. Fake "holiday" commercial musak pumped out of store speakers, not so much. Any of it before Thanksgiving -- Ugh! -- makes me leave the store if they have it on before Thanksgiving.
What is the definition of irony? When your favorite yarn goes on sale at a big discount right after you've stocked your stash to the max.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? None. Once again, I'd rather have chocolate. I'm not a lollipop or tootsie roll person. My kids love them though.
Why is my cat always puking in front of my son's bedroom door? It's a love present. ;-)
What is your superhero power? Having answers to all my kid's questions.
If the laundry is 9 foot by 11 foot (just dreaming, that's a big laundry room), and the walls are 8 feet tall, and you are going to tile the entire room in tiles that are 3 inches by 5 inches, what color should those tiles be? Sea green & blue
What's for dinner tonight? Fish & chips & salad
What is clogging my children's bathtub drain? Long hair mixed with half melted bars of soap that were dropped in & left to see how small they would get. At least that's what's in my kid's bathtub drain.
________________
Coming soon -- Pictures of Hidcote Unpinned!
The knitting questions, or the usual suspects
How long have you been knitting? I first learned to knit 30 years ago, but I'm not sure playing around with garter stitch as a child should really count towards total knitting time. As far as "real" knitting of anything beyond a garter stitch scarf, it's been off & on for 18 years.
How did you learn to knit? Garter stitch I learned from my mother when I was about 9 years old. Knitting anything more complicated, including colorwork, simple increase/decreases, casting on & binding off, knitting in the round, steeking, purling, & following Norwegian sweater patterns I learned from my host mother, Ingeborg, when I spent a year in Norway as a foreign exchange student. I'm a self-taught laceknitter, but I had a good foundation to build on from that year I spent in Norway.
Favorite thing about knitting? Creating something totally unique, that cannot be purchased in mass market type of store.
How long have you been knitting lace? My first lace was Kiri, which I knit this past summer.
Favorite thing about knitting lace. Watching the pattern emerge.
The yarn questions, or flash your stash
Favorite lace yarn? So far, it's been Misti Alpaca Lace. However, I don't have much experience with different laceweight yarns yet, & am looking forward to experimenting.
Variegated or solids for shawls? Again, I've only knit two shawls so far, & started a couple more. Variegated looks better in some patterns than others, & I do plan to try it on a shawl in the future.
Favorite lace color? Green.
Technique, or show us your skillz
Circs or straights? Circs. I use Circs or DPNs for almost everything.
Favorite lace knitting trick? Favorite trick is picking up missed YO's or dropping found extra YO's & letting the blocking take care of any slight stitch tension variation.
Lifelines? If so with what? Nope. I like living dangerously, I guess. I've never used lifelines. I didn't even know they existed until after I completed my first shawl.
Fancy blocking wires, or just sewing pins stuck in your carpet? Combination. My blocking wire isn't fancy though. It's just stainless steel picture wire with packing tape over both ends to keep it from fraying or catching on my lace.
Pattern, or can you follow directions
shawls or lacey items? Shawls. I've made other items with an all over pattern of alternating K2tog/YO, but no other "real" lace with any distinct pattern.
triangle, rectangle, or circular shawls? Only triangles so far, but I plan to try rectangles & circles also.
Charts or printed instructions? I loved that Kiri had both. That was how I figured out how to read lace charts. Now I prefer charts.
Favorite lace you've knit? Miriam's Hidcote Garden Shawl.
Favorite lace you want to knit? It's a tie between Icarus & Mountain Peaks. I'm not sure which will be next.
Just Fun, yup that's right, just for fun
Favorite jelly belly flavor? None. I'd far rather have chocolate.
Tell me everything you know about Eric the Red..... See above -- having spent a year in Norway, & also studied Norse/Viking history since, I could go on for quite some time...
Coke, classic or with lime? None. I hate soda & always have. I'd rather have water, actually.
Holiday carols, sing along, or wish they would be banned from all public airwaves? I love Christmas Hymns & will sing along at every opportunity. Fake "holiday" commercial musak pumped out of store speakers, not so much. Any of it before Thanksgiving -- Ugh! -- makes me leave the store if they have it on before Thanksgiving.
What is the definition of irony? When your favorite yarn goes on sale at a big discount right after you've stocked your stash to the max.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? None. Once again, I'd rather have chocolate. I'm not a lollipop or tootsie roll person. My kids love them though.
Why is my cat always puking in front of my son's bedroom door? It's a love present. ;-)
What is your superhero power? Having answers to all my kid's questions.
If the laundry is 9 foot by 11 foot (just dreaming, that's a big laundry room), and the walls are 8 feet tall, and you are going to tile the entire room in tiles that are 3 inches by 5 inches, what color should those tiles be? Sea green & blue
What's for dinner tonight? Fish & chips & salad
What is clogging my children's bathtub drain? Long hair mixed with half melted bars of soap that were dropped in & left to see how small they would get. At least that's what's in my kid's bathtub drain.
________________
Coming soon -- Pictures of Hidcote Unpinned!











1 Comments:
At 2:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing these answers, it's always so entertaining reading through them on blogs! And yay for your definition of irony, this is just perfect!
Post a Comment
<< Home