Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Binding off Hidcote

It looks like I'm going to finish my Hidcote Garden Shawl a little earlier than I had anticipated. Because I won't be able to block it for at least another fortnight, I was trying to keep Hidcote on the back burner & savor the last few rows. However, once I realized that I only had two rows left to go as of yesterday morning, I couldn't resist finishing them. I did the very last long, Long, LONG purl row yesterday morning, before going out on errands, & finished the very last row of the chart after going out to dinner last night.

Then I started the bind off. That was an adventure. This is only the second lace shawl I'd ever completed, & I had some questions on a couple details of the bind off. (Such as the fact that the instructions made it look like I'd be knitting the bind off on what would otherwise have been the purl row, & was I interpretting that correctly?) I sent Miriam an email to be sure I understood what to do, & she wrote back to explain that doing a bind off with knit stitches helps to keep it from rolling. Ah! The light dawned! (& it also occurred to me that I'd done the bind off incorrectly on my Kiri. Thankfully it still looks OK & doesn't roll at the edges.)

I had a bit of a false start when I began binding off. I knit Hidcote on size 3 Addi Turbo needles, but I didn't have any size 5 needles available to go up two sizes on the bind off. I tried with a size 6 initially & it was actually TOO LOOSE, if you can believe it. I have the opposite bind off issue from most knitters, apparently. So I switched to a size 4 needle for the right hand needle, & then the bind off tension was just right.

I ran out of steam at 11 p.m. last night & paused my bindoff just shy of halfway done. (For me, knitting after 11 p.m. frequently means frogging the next day, & I didn't want to run that risk.)

Here is a picture of my progress as of 11 p.m. last night. As you can see, the Addi needle is still in the stitches over the center point at the bottom. I still have quite a bit of the third skein of Misti Alpace Lace left, & expect to have no trouble finishing the shawl with somewhat less than 3 skeins used.



As soon as I got up this morning, I finished binding off all the way to the center point & took off the center point marker with much glee. (Though my six year old daughter will be sorry she missed seeing that. She was always asking me how I'm was going to avoid having it stuck in my shawl forever.)

It was a grey morning, with better light outside than by the window inside. I took Hidcote out to the back porth & let the bound off part of the edge hang free to get a picture. I'm amazed that so much fabric was captured on one needle, & that is only half of the shawl.



For anyone who wonders how I manage to bind off so loosely, I had my older son take this picture for me:



When knitting two together for binding off, I pull the needles apart a bit & knit not only "through the back loops" but also between those two needles. In other words, when knitting normally, I draw the yarn through at the bottom of the loop that's on the needle, down where there is space underneath. For binding off, I hold the needles apart to create extra space between them, & knit through that.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    already the shawl looks gorgeous. i can't wait to see how it looks blocked!

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Hidcote is gorgeous. I am impressed. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I will probably overdye the "ugly", but ya never know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home