Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Birthday stash enhancement/ LYS review

Now that we have a break from Post Season Baseball, I figured it was about time I got this blog entry up. As Jenn points out, there's a derth of knitting related posting going on right now. This will give folks something to read while waiting for the Rhinebeck posts to start flooding the internet. (Not to mention the fact that no one will be much interested in reading about LYS trips once there are Rhinebeck Reviews up to be read...)

Last Saturday we went to two different LYS's in Kirkwood, Missouri. The first was Knit & Hook, a fairly new store in a newer building on Kirkwood Road. Very new, & very nice, with the yarn arranged by color instead of by fiber or brand, which I found to be very soothing to the eyes.



They had a limited area of stuff on sale for 50% off, & I found some yarn there which I just had to have.










From there we went north on Kirkwood Road, turned onto Manchester Road, & went to Pennie's Place






Pennie's Place is going to be closing & will re-open under a new name:










Behold the day's haul.

Not all of it was birthday present. I did break down & supplement the stash enhancement when I found out that everything at Pennie's Place was on sale for 30% off.

From Knit & Hook:

The bright red mohair blend lace-weight -- enough yarn & the right color for a Christmas shawl. The pattern at the back & the three yarns on the right hand side were also from Knit & Hook. The olive green will be some sort of cabled scarf for me. The two balls of eyelash yarn are for edging-instead-of-fringe on a black poncho I plan to make someday, & the grey/blue mix in the lower right corner is for some combination of hats/mittens/scarf, perhaps for one or more of my kids.

From Pennie's Place:

The pile of aqua just to the right of center is for Icarus. The tweedy blue just to the left of center is going to be a top of some sort -- perhaps Green Gables, perhaps Picovoli. I'm not sure yet. There are only two balls of the dark green, which is going to be some sort of leafy lace scarf, perhaps Branching Out. The multi-color Portrait in the back left corner will be the shawl pattern that I bought that day. & last but not least, the yarn in the lower lefthand corner will probably be a Diamond Fantasy shawl.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't been to Knit and Hook yet, but now that I know they have a clearance section I'll definitely check it out! And I think we should definitely form a St. Louis contingent for Rhinebeck next year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home