Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Squee!

Tales of Yarn was mentioned on Lime & Violet's Daily Chum! Yippee!

I feel like it's 15 minutes of fame, or something.

Rachel asked me here about the Eye of Partridge heel. It's very simple to do, though it makes multi-colored yarn look gorgeous & complicated. The slip stitch rows are basically alternated; if you start the heel section with a knit stitch on one row, you would start with a slip stitch on the following right-side row, or vice versa. (Not including your choice of selvedge, which I used 3 garter stitches to do.) In other words, except for there being that wrong-side row of purling in between, Eye of Partridge is the moss stitch of heels -- you knit the slips & slip the knits.

The only issue is keeping track of which row you worked last, so that they get alternated properly. That makes it slightly less mindless than a regular slip stitch heel, but it isn't any big deal if the lighting is good enough to "read" your knitting. I did run into difficulty seeing which row I'd worked last when doing my Wildefoote Rhapsody socks outdoors in the evening while on vacation, so I just worked on different socks -- good thing I'd taken so many with me!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Rachel Leverton said…

    Thanks for the help; can't wait to try it!

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Neat!

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on being famous! I love this heel but always forget which row I'm on...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home