Time Travel Tuesday -- First Edition
Weekend mornings are my time to catch up on my podcasts, & frequently to listen to Cast On, because it's my best chance of not being interrupted. The latest "Today's Sweater" on the most recent episode was a sweater made by a daughter for her mother. The author muses about how she & her mother never really "talked knitting" the same way that the knitting community does now-a-days, even though she remembers her mother knitting a lot when she was a child. The author didn't really get into knitting until she was no longer living at home.
That struck me as being similar to my own situation. Both of my grandmothers were good knitters; I have items they knit as evidence of that fact. But I do not remember ever actually watching either of them knit. For both of them, knitting was only one of many handcrafts. Both also sewed, & did needlepoint, & were far more comfortable in the kitchen than I will ever be. (Thank goodness for a husband who likes to cook!)
However, I never really discussed knitting very much with either of my grandmothers. There were always other things to talk about. I do remember sewing & doing embroidery with them; just not knitting.
It makes me sad to think of the missed opportunity. I never really realized the questions I could have or should have asked until they were no longer available to talk to about knitting. But at least I do have knitted items which they made & I can touch & look over, & figure out how they were created. I'll be highlighting those in future Time Travel Tuesdays.
That struck me as being similar to my own situation. Both of my grandmothers were good knitters; I have items they knit as evidence of that fact. But I do not remember ever actually watching either of them knit. For both of them, knitting was only one of many handcrafts. Both also sewed, & did needlepoint, & were far more comfortable in the kitchen than I will ever be. (Thank goodness for a husband who likes to cook!)
However, I never really discussed knitting very much with either of my grandmothers. There were always other things to talk about. I do remember sewing & doing embroidery with them; just not knitting.
It makes me sad to think of the missed opportunity. I never really realized the questions I could have or should have asked until they were no longer available to talk to about knitting. But at least I do have knitted items which they made & I can touch & look over, & figure out how they were created. I'll be highlighting those in future Time Travel Tuesdays.











2 Comments:
At 10:26 AM,
Anonymous said…
Your memories are lovely. My Grandmother H was the knitter, but she was so unhappy and hard to deal with that we never talked about much of anything. Her sister, my Great Aunt Dorothy taught me to knit when I was 8. She was the crabbiest woman alive, but I remember her fondly. I can't wait to see the things your Grandmothers knit for you.
At 2:16 AM,
Anonymous said…
I started knitting a few years ago, and am so glad that I've had the opportunity to knit with my mother and talk to her about it. Its been a lot of fun, and I think recharged her knitting as well!
Post a Comment
<< Home