Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Be Prepared

I find it amusing that Brenda Dayne's Cast On series for the summer is focussing on camping & Scouting, given how much I've been following the "Be Prepared" motto lately. May I present a review of how much knitting I'm insane enough to believe I can do in two weeks?

I've got the plain stockinette lower section of a Norwegian sweater, ready for 16 inches of the same color in the round.






I've got 8 sets of socks in progress -- 4 pre-Summer of Socks, & 4 that are "SOS legal & started on the solstice or after" On the left, 4 sets of socks started before the Summer of Socks KAL. On the right, 4 sets of socks started since.

That should be enough socks to last me for a fortnight, right?



I recently finished preparing the one additional item that I want to take with me. The Yarn Harlot's latest book recommends taking a variety of knitting for long trips, to switch up needle size & type, which sounds like an excellent idea to me.



I finished the Cleckheaton sleeves last week, & this weekend I joined them together, did the front & back raglan pieces, & joined the front & back to knit as circular stockinette in the car. (The pattern called for picking up stitches for the front & back seperately, & working them both in back & forth stockinette, then seaming afterwards. I decided that was silly, so I'm doing it in the round instead.)




I tried the sleeves on before joining the front to the back, & tried to take some pictures to illustrate how it fits together. The directions say to pick up stitches along the top of one sleeve, cast on stitches for the neckline, & then pick up stitches from the top of the other sleeve.





Here it is all joined together & ready for car knitting.


Oh, & the reason for plain stockinette in the round for car knitting? Check Kim's post -- I've got the same issues, but fortunately a much flatter & less curvy route planned.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger wheelinsticks said…

    You are a knitting nut, but you already know that. I love the sweater. The colors are great. It did help to have a variety of knittig choices. I think we do a lot of puttering around at home without really noticing it.

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    You are prepared for anything like any good Boy Scout. You make us knitters proud. Have a wonderful vacation.

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Hahahaha, you are cracking me up with your preparations for vacation knitting. Don't forget scissors, darning needles, a crochet hook and tape measure!

    Have a good trip.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home