Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Houston, We Have a Heel!

Using the Sensational Knitted Socks book, I have successfully turned my very first heel.



Basic 2-by-2 Garter Stitch Rib, top-down, on size 1 Inox DPNs. Yarn from Chris' Needle Craft Supply, Needles from The Loopy Ewe. I had to go ahead & try them on, since I wanted to be sure they would actually fit, which it's looking like they will.



It's amazing how much knitting can get done when staying home with a sick child. He'll be back at school tomorrow, though, so it's back to paid work for me...



My cats have also been rather spoiled by having people around during the daytime for two extra days this week. They like to sit on my lap & "help" me knit...











I also enjoyed getting to watch them bask in the sun -- an impossibility on days when I leave when the morning is still dark, & return after sunset.


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger craftyminx said…

    Congrats! Heel turning is always an accomplishment in my book. And no holes--even better! That's why I love that book. Its a fave of mine.

    In response to your comment on my blog: I taught some Children at the Baptist Children's home in my area how to knit and I had them make their own needles out of chopsticks. They loved it! Some of them ended up being 10s (pei wei) while the smaller ones were 6's (the take out chinese place):). They were all so short though that they worked out well. The bamboo also helped a lot because it helped them not drop stitches. Good luck with the teaching!
    on--And I only use the big needles to teach the stitches. As soon as they understand how they are made I take them away, give them the smaller sized ones, and move on to the next kid. Its usually hit and miss though.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Guinifer said…

    Congrats on your first heel!
    Woo Hoo!

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Rachel Leverton said…

    Congratulations! Your sock looks lovely, and I personally feel that the turned heel fits the nicest. Your kitties look so cute!

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You did a fabulous job of turning your heel. Isn't it magical? I never get over it. I love the yarn, too. Congratulations. And, sometimes I would love to be a kitty. My girls have been doing the same thing. Basking in the sun.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Eileen said…

    Nothing like turning a heel! Congrats. And I DID see a robin on my lawn today!

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice heel!!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog (medicknits). And yes, it is tough to find time to knit when sorking outside the home and raising a family, as you know. Keep up the great work!

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Redford Phyl said…

    Love the color of that yarn. Just turned my first heel, too, with the help of the Yarn Harlot and her Knitting Rules! book. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago, but it saved me. Did mine with magic loop. Can't use DPNs to save my soul. I always manage to pull on the wrong one.

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now, this is the perfect heel, that's for sure - very well done! I so love the pics of your lil' furry ones, they look so cute! My kitty enjoys to lie in the sun these days as well - I really feel like joining her at times ;)

     
  • At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice going on the heel! I have that book too, I think it'll be great for mix and match pattern designing.

    And very cute cats ;-)

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger pigbook1 said…

    CONGRATS!!!!! I am just starting on the sock thing and after screwing up heels twice I know how good it feels to do it right for the first time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home