Lace Dream
Or is it Lace Insanity? My red Christmas dress is too tight to wear to parties this year, even though Hidcote would have gone perfectly with it. :(
Instead of trying to diet madly to fit into the red dress, I decided to knit a black stole to go with my black dress that DOES fit.
Now the question is, can I finish it in just under two weeks? I want to have it blocked & ready to wear a week from Saturday.


It's the "Lace Dream" shawl by Eugene Beugler from Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine. I've modified it slightly, since I'm using black mohair (Again!) & I want to be sure that the pattern will show after blocking. The needles I'm using are size 7, which is bigger than called for, & I took out two repeats of the pattern, since I have a bit less yardage than is called for also.
The yarn I'm using is the Jo Sharp Mohair that I bought on sale at Chris Needlecraft the evening I saw Jenn & Sharon. It was on sale for 40% off, which is about the only time I'd contemplate buying yarn that's only 95 yards to the ball. I'm already on the second ball of yarn, & very thankful that with mohair, I only need to double up the yarn I'm knitting with for joining the ends, instead of having them to weave in later. Both balls have also had breaks in them, so that makes three joins already, before I even get to the third ball of yarn. The yarn does feel good to knit, & I'm happy with the results, but not so happy with breaks in the yarn balls -- so I'm not sure if I'll ever buy Jo Sharp yarn again. (Well, knowing me, at least not at full price...)
Instead of trying to diet madly to fit into the red dress, I decided to knit a black stole to go with my black dress that DOES fit.
Now the question is, can I finish it in just under two weeks? I want to have it blocked & ready to wear a week from Saturday.


It's the "Lace Dream" shawl by Eugene Beugler from Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine. I've modified it slightly, since I'm using black mohair (Again!) & I want to be sure that the pattern will show after blocking. The needles I'm using are size 7, which is bigger than called for, & I took out two repeats of the pattern, since I have a bit less yardage than is called for also.
The yarn I'm using is the Jo Sharp Mohair that I bought on sale at Chris Needlecraft the evening I saw Jenn & Sharon. It was on sale for 40% off, which is about the only time I'd contemplate buying yarn that's only 95 yards to the ball. I'm already on the second ball of yarn, & very thankful that with mohair, I only need to double up the yarn I'm knitting with for joining the ends, instead of having them to weave in later. Both balls have also had breaks in them, so that makes three joins already, before I even get to the third ball of yarn. The yarn does feel good to knit, & I'm happy with the results, but not so happy with breaks in the yarn balls -- so I'm not sure if I'll ever buy Jo Sharp yarn again. (Well, knowing me, at least not at full price...)











4 Comments:
At 7:12 AM,
Rachel Leverton said…
Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see finished FO's
At 11:27 AM,
Cindy said…
OMG, you are the shawl knitting queen, I swear. I am so impressed.
At 6:49 PM,
Mary Beth said…
OH it's gonna be beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished!
And YES I would love that HTML stuff!
At 10:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
Ambitious! I love the idea of making a new shawl instead of buying a new dress.
Post a Comment
<< Home