Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cable Fixing

Some cable errors can be left in if it's a matter of a wrong direction crossover 20 rows down. When an error in a travelling cable interferes with going forward in the project, however, there's nothing to do but to fix it. This time, I decided to document the fix, in case it helps anyone else who runs into a similar issue.

I thought I had the Susie Hoodie cable chart memorized, but a four or five rows later, it became apparent that I had started to turn the outside cables back towards the middle two rows early. Oops!

Because the body of the Susie Hoodie is knit all in one piece, tinking back all those rows would be a LOT of stitches. (Not to mention how much of a pain it is to frog mohair.) Therefore, re-knitting just the offending cable sections was the solution.

I put stitch holders through the stitches below the first wrong sets, as extra insurance. For the correct stitches on the very edge of the sweater, a stitch marker of the plastic safety-pin type was the perfect solution to hold only 3 stitches. Then I undid just the stitches I would need to re-knit.

I normally prefer metal DPNs, but wooden ones are great for something like this. When working with only a very few stitches, they stay in place better on wood, & the needle is less likely to fall out.


I re-knit the stitches with the cable travel starting on the correct row. Once the cable closest to the edge had been fixed, I used a wooden DPN to hold all the correct stitches while working on the cable closest to the body of the sweater.

For the side of the sweater where the yarn was, I did go ahead & tink back the entire purl-across-the-cable section, & re-knit all 20-something stitches before resuming work on the sweater.

The cable fix was a bit time consuming to do, but considering how long it takes me to knit each row of the Susie Hoodie, I think I came out ahead by fixing it this way versus frogging 5 rows & re-knitting.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home