Tales of Yarn

Strings of stories about yarn & knitting, & sometimes other stuff.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Size Matters

Have you ever had a nagging feeling in the back of your mind? I'm talking about when you see something & think, "Hm, that's interesting" & go back about your business, but that something isn't really forgotten? Then later, while in the middle of an unrelated event, it all of a sudden hits you. ARGH!

That happened to me this week, after my previous post. I went into Ravelry to check/correct my needle size I had listed for the Green Mirage project & found I had it listed as "8". I corrected it to the size 6 that I had actually used so far, & went about my day.

All of a sudden, apparently out of nowhere, BAM! All of a sudden the sleeves made sense & the body, which was more than halfway complete, did NOT. I had used size 6 needles to knit the garter stitch edge at the bottom of the body, originally intending to go up to a size 7 or 8 once the garter stitch was complete. However, I forgot to change needle sizes when I started the main pattern. Clearly I was distracted -- lots of other stuff going on that is completely non-knitting related to cause the distraction.

I had thought the garter edge looked floppy compared to the sweater, but was a couple inches into the sweater at that point. In a moment of complete forgetfulness, I chalked that up to having forgotten to go DOWN a size for the garter. At the time I was oblivious to the fact that I had, in fact, actually started correctly, but was continuing in error. ARGH!

Once the realization hit, I really was pretty distracted from everything until I had a chance to shift half the body of sweater onto other needles & check the fit. It does still fit fine through the waist. Whew!

Trying it on made me realize that I do want one more pattern repeat before joining the sleeves to the body. I had been contemplating stopping there, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I was able to switch to larger needles, so that the top section of the sweater will give me the extra inch or two that I'd prefer to have at that point. Whew! again.

After all of this mulling over of things, I also ended up deciding to start over on the sleeves yet AGAIN. That's a story for another day.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, ripping aside, I really love the fabric you're getting now. Makes me like Sierra again. And the color is GORGEOUS.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home